See more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Going Sober Mum, a blog

Going Sober Mum is the name I have used on forums about alcohol addiction. Goingsober.blogspot.com is the blog where I started blogging about my drinking. It was to keep it all anonymous, but my discoveries over the last week have made me feel that people with alcohol addiction shouldn't need to hiding away from the rest of the world. If the stigma wasn't there then maybe more people would get help and that can only be a good thing.
There are many many women out there with a problem, Many pregnant women who find stopping hard, if not almost impossible yet there doesn't seem to be much help apart from AA which does a good job but in my opinion isn't enough. If someone offers a person who stopped smoking 20 years ago a cigarette, they will say no thanks I don't smoke, if you offer a drink to someone who gave up drinking 20 years ago and who still goes to AA, they'll probably say no thanks I'm an alcoholic. Why when someone has managed to free themselves from the clutches of the addiction do we keep telling they have a problem.
I wonder how many people don't try to quit drinking alcohol because they don't want to carry the label 'alcoholic' round their necks all their lives.

No comments: